A technical spike is a type of work that helps identify and evaluate technical options.
So what makes a spike successful?
- Timeboxed - Have a fixed time frame (1 day, 1 week, ...). Please don't leave it open-ended
- Iterative - It is a time to experiment and learn, don't try to make perfect. Start small and increment
- Focused on Learning - Aim is to discover, learn and spot the unknows
- Outcome-based - Decide on what success looks like before starting (e.g. Spike Elastic Search )
- What feature of elastic search?
- What is the minimum viable prototype requirements to uncover if this is the right fit?
- Without Commitment - It should be done without bias, and the learnings should determine the outcome
- Validate Options - Go through each option and test it out. Don't make assumptions
- Better Estimation of work required - Understand the difference between the time needed to test something vs making it production-ready